Has your loved one recently had surgery? Is he or she recovering from an injury or a medical setback? When recovering from surgery, illness or injury, many patients find they need additional care, perhaps after their hospital stay but before they’re ready to return home.
Adams Woodcrest’s short-term rehabilitation helps patients regain strength, mobility and independence in the shortest time possible. Adams Woodcrest offers skilled short-term rehabilitation focusing on complete recovery from rehab to home.
Back to Independence
We focus on a team approach consisting of nurses, physical, occupational and speech therapists. Our goal is to get results and individuals back to independence as quickly and safely as possible. Our caring staff will see to your comfort while our skilled rehabilitation team designs a treatment plan that is perfectly customized for you!
Who Qualifies for Short-Term Rehabilitation?
Short-term rehab, sometimes referred to as Swing Bed, is covered by Medicare and Medicaid, as well as many private insurance plans. Medicare reimbursement requires a three-day qualifying stay in any Critical Access Hospital (such as Adams Memorial Hospital) or Acute Care Hospital prior to admission to short-term rehab or a swing bed program. If you would like to know whether you or a loved one qualifies for this program, please contact our care navigator at 260-223-7196.
Other insurance plans may allow short-term rehab (or swing bed) status, but authorization must be assured prior to admission. Screening must also be completed by a case manager to assure qualifiers are appropriate.
Who is Short-Term Rehab for?
Short-term rehab is ideal for patients needing:
- Recovery from major surgery, joint replacement or vascular or abdominal operation
- Wound care
- Rehabilitation after a stroke
- IV medication therapy or nutritional therapy
- Strength training after a lingering illness or prolonged hospitalization for acute medical care
- Intensive physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy
- Respiratory therapy
Our Therapy Team
Our therapists are employed by Adams Health Network and work to provide a smooth transition to a range of settings, including home care services and long-term care facilities. Our therapy team is on-site six days a week for therapy convenience. We offer state-of-the-art therapy equipment and a transitional apartment for safe transition to home.
Our therapy team uses a variety of techniques to promote movement, reduce pain, restore functions and prevent disability while providing excellent therapy outcomes including the following services:
- One-on-one therapy sessions
- Self-care training and education
- Shorter length of stays
- Training in the use of adaptive equipment
- Relearn daily living skills
- Balance and coordination
- Maximize independent function in the home
The transitional apartment is available for patients to allow therapists to monitor patient abilities in a real environment and find solutions prior to discharge.
If needed, therapists will perform a home assessment prior to discharge to assure a safe transition.
Get started on the road to recovery now and get back to your life!
IMPROVE MUSCLE FUNCTION AND COORDINATION
No one patient is the same as another, which is why our physical therapists offer individualized therapy programs to address your specific needs. Our Adams Woodcrest therapists offer decades of cumulative experience and compassionate treatments, including:
- Orthopedic rehabilitation
- Ways to improve muscle function and coordination
- Programs to gain strength and help restore balance
- Exercises to increase mobility and sustain endurance
- Physical therapists who can help decrease your pain
SIMPLIFY DAILY TASKS
Getting back to doing everyday activities after a trauma or stroke can be a challenge. Adams Woodcrest occupational therapists have the experience and the expertise to aid recovery by:
- Offering help with the some of the most important Activities of Daily Living (ADL) such as bathing, grooming and dressing.
- Teaching residents how to adapt their behavior so they can be more confident and comfortable on their own each day.
REGAIN YOUR VOICE
There are several reasons you may need a speech-language therapist in Decatur for rehabilitation. At Adams Woodcrest, our trained therapists take an outcomes-based approach using specialized clinical programs, tools and strategies to support verbal communication. Assistance for speech and communication issues that arise while recovering from a stroke or after surgery that may affect the ability to produce sound. These most often include:
- Word finding and verbal expression
- Speech production/focusing on helping to articulate words
- Voice/auditory comprehension
- Helping with difficulty when swallowing because of memory loss or dementia
- Memory, vision, reading, writing, thinking and problem solving
In the Decatur area, the respiratory therapists at Adams Memorial Hospital provide our residents with a range of respiratory therapies and post-therapy services:
- We provide treatments for chronic cardiopulmonary issues such as asthma, emphysema, COPD and lung cancer, as well as issues that arise from bronchitis, pneumonia and other infections or viruses.
Schedule A Tour
Explore life at Adams Woodcrest. Our continuing care retirement community offers a full spectrum of living options, from independent living to assisted living to nursing and memory care. Please contact us to schedule a tour of your local retirement community, Adams Woodcrest.